With approval from the Sam Houston Area Council of the Boy Scouts of America, SFWS offers an Akela Award for Cub Scouts. During the session, Scouts will have an opportunity to learn about:
- The wolves and wolfdogs of SFWS
- Gray wolves (Canis lupus) and other wolf species
- Conservation and why it is important to protect natural resources
- The food chain
While at SFWS, Scouts will also learn about the importance of enrichment for captive wild animals, and will perform an age-appropriate service project by helping us create enrichment items for our animals to enjoy!
When: Sessions are held on designated Saturdays at the sanctuary (see the calendar of available dates below), beginning promptly at 11:00 am (please arrive by 10:50) and ending at 12:30 pm. The program will be held even in case of inclement weather—we have a covered area within view of the animals.
Price: $20 per participating scout (which includes an Akela Award patch). The cost for other family members wishing to attend is $10 per adult and $5 per child. Cancellations must be made at least 30 days in advance for a refund, this is due to large demand for the program.
Restrictions: Group Leader attendance is required, and other adults should be present as well. Since the focus of these sessions is on the Scout, we ask that parents plan on staying with their other children who are not Scouts. The total number of participants may not exceed 30.
- If any minors in your party will not have their parent/guardian present, you MUST bring a Release Form signed by their parent/guardian with you when you arrive. The form can be found here [pdf].
- October 6, 2018 – booked
- October 27, 2018 – booked
- November 17, 2018
- December 15, 2018 – booked