Saint Francis Wolf Sanctuary is a non-profit facility dedicated to providing exceptional, life-long care to wolves and wolfdogs in need. We are currently the only wolf sanctuary in the entire state of Texas and in the process of relocating. Our move will provide us with more room to grow and expand the facility, and will allow us to take in more rescues!
The relocation of our Sanctuary will require a number of physically demanding tasks on a daily basis and as we grow, we are looking for Interns that can help us accomplish our goals. Our ideal candidate will have an outstanding work ethic, good communication and conflict-resolution skills, and the ability to strictly follow safety protocols. Being self-motivated and showing initiative while working in a team environment is also important.
Our goal is to provide Interns with the knowledge and skills required to obtain a career in the field of exotic animal care. Interns will be responsible for daily husbandry, as would be expected in this field, but you may also learn about and assist in the following areas:
- Capture and restraint and/or chemical immobilization
- Routine and non-routine vet care such as vaccinations, blood draws, and surgeries
- Intake assessment and phenotyping
- Transport for accepted rescues
- Enclosure construction, maintenance, and repairs
- Operant conditioning and enrichment
- On and off-site education
EDUCATION AND PRE-REQUISITES:
- Candidates pursuing or having completed a degree in Biology, Zoology or related field are preferred, but experience working with exotics may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Six months experience working with large carnivores preferred.
- Must be in good physical condition with the ability to kneel, bend, twist, lift, reach, push, pull, and stand for long periods of time
- Must be able to consistently lift 50 pounds
- Must be comfortable on ladders and willing to operate tools and machinery
- Must be able to work in inclement weather and extreme heat
- Must present yourself in a professional manner when interacting with the public
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License and provide your own transportation
- Must provide proof of current Tetanus
- May be required to work weekends, holidays, and irregular hours during events
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
We regularly offer up to four full-time positions for the duration of 3-6 months. All internships start as 3 month commitments and may be extended to 6 months on an invitational basis. All interns are required to work at least 4 days per week from 8 AM to 5 PM. Shared housing is provided. No stipend provided.
Please send your resume, cover letter, and three professional references to Richard Biggs or Abigail Hixson at Curator@wolvesofsaintfrancis.org
Internship applications are accepted year round, so we encourage interested parties to apply! We will keep all qualified resumes on file.